Exploring the foothills of the Alps (Extra Assignment Essay Post)

 This scavenger hunt was a wonderful experience. Its interesting how similar Italy and the US areas well as how different they are. One thing that stuck out to me was the lack of sidewalks on most streets. I had always thought of Italy as pedestrian-friendly, so I was not expecting there to be a complete lack of sidewalks when going to Crespano. While there are a lack of sidewalks, it is due more to the streets being narrow and shared with cars. The thinness was overall still more appealing to pedestrians. This was also not the case in Bassano, where most of the streets still lacked sidewalks and were thin, but many of the streets were pedestrian only.

The Canova Museum was unique to me mostly because I think this is the first time that I saw a museum display every step of the process from the artists. Most museums only show the finished works, the successes, but this museum had the original rough draft sketches, detailed painting from the front and back of the statue, rough miniature statue, sometimes just a rough statue, and finally the completed statue. The fact that everything was preserved and put on display is something that you wouldn’t see in the US, and I suspect that we won’t even see it in most of the major museums that we’ll go to like the Uffizi. I believe that the museum showcased every step due to Italy’s nature to preserve while the US likes to showcase the successes more.

By far the most unique experience was going to the market in Bassano. I would say that going there was not only the coolest spot, but also the most useful for learning about Italian culture. Crespano and Possagno were lightly populated, and we didn’t have to interact with very many locals (two in each location, one guy giving directions and the gelato lady in Crespano and the ticket seller for the museum and for going to the temple roof in Possagno), but Bassano was a constant experience of meeting people. For example, there was a pair of shoes that I wanted, but they were the wrong size. The stall owner spoke no English or Spanish, and thus talking to him required lots of pointing and looking up words. After finding that he didn’t have my size, he went to try and sell me other shoes, and communicating that I didn’t want them also required more finagling. The Grappa was relatively easy to find, as we just went into a shop selling alcohol and said “Grappa.” Talking with other shopkeepers was also an experience due to various levels of English. Most knew numbers, but it was hard to figure out when to transition to English as I typically tried to start with Italian. I remember one shopkeeper realizing that we weren’t local and asking for our Nationality and then just switching to English after I looked confused from what he said. This market experience was 100% needed as I got interactions with locals that I could not get before and that I don’t know that I’ll get elsewhere. To be at an event designed for locals and not for tourists is also amazing as we get to see the locals’ daily lives. I suspect that this market will be different than the markets in Venice and Florence- which will be more geared towards tourists than locals and thus have more English speakers and be much more expensive. Bassano allowed me to immerse myself in the culture unlike anywhere else in this trip so far.

I did not see any real postmodern spaces in any of the cities, except in the museum. The museum had a variety of spaces inside it- with a renaissance space in the old house that Canova lived in and a new section that had a neoclassical section, a renaissance section with a modern inside holding his flat pieces, and a post-modern section. This variation of architecture mimicked the variation in the statues. Most of the statues were from Canova, but many statues were from local artists that were contemporary. Seeing a statue with dragon tattoos next to the Grecian nudes in the neo-classical space made the juxtaposition and purpose behind the piece more obvious. The juxtaposition of the art to the space made time less set and more fluid. The cities themselves were a mixture of renaissance and medieval spaces, which was pleasing to the eye. The closest to the American streets was on the main roads, where many cars were traveling and which I tried to avoid when navigating cities like Bassano.

I believe this experience was a huge advantage for me and Arija. After talking about what we did with the others, I would suggest doing a similar 8-week course before the trip (second 8 weeks of the semester), then doing a trip to Bassano with the class on market day and going to the museum and temple. The first day can be skipped, but I’m sure some other benefit can be gained from it. I am sure people would be glad to take the course to get more time exploring. The other students also seemed restless in the classroom in Italy, and would probably pay more attention at Purdue with less distractions. This is just an idea though as I certainly found benefit in going to Bassano and Possagno.

Other cool things- not in scavenger hunt, but just loved it.

Bassano also had multiple things that stood out beyond the market. There was a church at one end of the market that had a WWI memorial and had the tombs of thousands of soldiers. In the US we would just have a cemetery, but we have more space in the US and land is seen as less of a premium and we can have a spread out cemetery. There was a Basilica with signs explaining the restoration process. There was a wall by the city hall covered in the insignias of other cities. I loved seeing this wall and recognizing the various cities like Mullhouse, Augsburg, Verona, Genoa, and Padova among others. I recognize these from a historical strategy game I play. I loved being able to see this wall, see these tombs (I was remined that WWI saw the Italian front very close to Venice). There were even statues from 1936. There was ultimately just a large amount of history. The spaces were also cool, as they were all renaissance to medieval spaces and every street appeared different and had a unique view even if you just turned around.

A public park

Sins of the Throat

A neoclassical temple

A Grecian nude

A postmodern space

A Ponte Vecchio

A Grappa in the glass

Several Grappa in bottles

Fresh fruit or vegetable I have never seen before (Asparaci Veneto)

One of the many Venetian Lions that we saw

Inside the church turned war cemetery (not from scavenger hunt)

Wall with the city insignias (not from scavenger hunt)

Comments

Popular Posts